To become certified as eligible for the TAA program, companies must meet the following criteria:
Declines in employment in the most recent 12-month period compared to the preceding 12 months or anticipating a reduction.
A decline in total net sales or production in the most recent 12-month period compared to the preceding 12 months.
Effects of Imports
Increases of imports have attributed significantly to the total net loss of sales in the most recent 12-month period or 6-month interim period as demonstrated by:
Petitioning firms must show at least 24 months of sales and employment data.
It is a site visit in which SETAAC specialists look at the company’s whole operation, ask questions in each functional area, and listen to key management and employees.
Petitioning the government for entry into the TAA program is provided at no charge to companies. The diagnostic visit and report cost firms 25 percent of the actual fee. The federal government pays the remaining 75 percent.
Consultant selection is left to the firm. Project managers cannot suggest, recommend, or participate in the selection of consultants to perform the work.
The length of time to certify depends on the firm and Washington. The clock effectively begins when all information has been received by the project manager and the petition has been completed and submitted to the committee. The entire process usually is concluded within 90-120 days.
Yes. The SETAAC has a database of consultants that have been used in the past and new consultants are added each month. The decision of which consultant is selected is left to the company.
Firms who participate in the TAA program can be in the program for up to five years or until they have spent their approved funds.
A separate cost-share is available for very small firms. This alternative cost-share limits the government funds to $22,500 and sets the company’s cost-share at 25 percent, which limits the projects to $30,000.
The length of time to certify depends on the firm and the U.S. Department of Commerce. The clock effectively begins when all information has been received by the project manager and the petition has been completed and submitted. The entire process usually is concluded within 90 to 120 days.
All communications between a TAA Center and the company are considered privileged and confidential, and are protected by federal statute.